Having a loan pre-approval (or verification of ability to purchase) is just like having a plane ticket.
You need a plane ticket to enter an airport and to board a flight just like you need a loan pre-approval to shop for homes and to write offers.
Cash offers and underwritten loan approvals are just like flying first-class.
Just like there might be other first-class passengers/buyers or someone in economy might upgrade their ticket/offer.
The lender who you work with matters just like the airline that you fly with matters.
Some airlines might be prone to delays and cancellations just like some lenders might cause turbulence during the transaction.
- Get pre-approved early and identify issues (if any) before you find the right home.
- The loan pre-approval will verify your max purchase price and save you time from seeing homes outside of your budget.
- It's a pre-requisite to writing an offer.
- Underwritten loan approvals or loan commitment letters are the strongest level of approval and will provide more confidence with your offer.
- Local lenders are often preferred.
- Your agent's lender recommendations are often a great place to start since there is likely a track record of successful closings.
Realtor | Compass